Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Whale watching (aka whale retching)

I planned weeks ago to go whale watching in Monterey on Monday 7th March 2005. It was something I had wanted to do since 1998. I somehow never managed it.

I love the ocean and spending time at the beach. I get an indescribable sense of joy when I see sea otters crunching crabs on their back and frolicking in the waters in and around Monterey Bay. I knew watching whales would be an experience of a lifetime, one I would never forget....

There were signs from battle worn seafarers .... I just didn't pay close attention.

So at 10 am yesterday we went. I had reservations and at the last minute I changed my mind. I wasn't going to go. Kevin said "oh go on, I've bought the ticket". I said " if I don't go, I'll regret it for the rest of my life". I couldn't let the boys go without me and miss out on the family experience now, could I?

I felt just dandy and said so. "We are only in the harbour", came the reply. "Oh" I said, not understanding the gravity of the remark.

Well, what a wretched time I had. I can't give you the details because they are just too gross for words. I knew it was a bad sign when the Captain directed our gaze to two black-footed albatrosses. This sighting was a rare thing.

Next came the announcement that the orca - the only predator of the grey whale - was out to play so the big whales would not be around. Oh yes, only the killer whale was there. I did see a sea otter momentarily. I commented on that sighting and Andrew said "I saw that too. It went down and didn't come up". That described me.

I was so sick I can't remember when I have ever felt so bad. I withdrew into a wretchedly dark place and caught a glimpse of the orca twice. That little black pointy thing on top to be precise. Oh my, what a day.

Today I found a friend. What an angel she was to me. She cleaned up after me and what a nasty job that was. I arrived home late last night and she called me to see how I was doing.

We laughed and joked and re-named whale watching whale retching. We agreed there should be a health and safety warning attached to it.

She tried to make me feel better by telling me I looked really well unlike the man who turned green. I'd been sitting in the wind and was element blasted. I wondered why people started up conversations next to me. I couldn't reply and just thought "Are these people mad? Can't they see I'm an immobilised corpse?" Anyway, be warned. Whale watching is not for those of a weak constitution or not on anti-sickness drugs.
If you're thinking of going whale-watching, you could save yourself 3 hours by watching the 15 seconds of video Kevin got inbetween his technicolour yawning:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home